Beware: Domain Name Scam
We received an email from one of our clients in relation to an email they were sent. The email was informing them that their domain name was expiring and they needed to renew it. Of course their domain name with us was not due to expire for another 20 months, so they found it a bit weird.
Looking into it a little bit more on Google we've noticed that this scam has been in circulation for a number of years. Just Google "Domain Notification: - This is your Final Notice of Domain Listing YOURNAME.com" and you will see many articles discussing it.
We just wanted to make everyone aware that this scam is still out there and not to reply to it. All they want is for you to pay them the money and then they will leave you high and dry.
- The email does look very official.
- It mentions “solicitation”, which means that they are soliciting you for a new service, not the renewal of your domain name.
- It does not come from your domain registrar.
- The small print says “THIS IS NOT A BILL” – although it does look like one.
- What they are actually offering to do is to submit your domain name to unnamed search engine(s) for $75 for one year, or $499 for a “lifetime” which is complete nonsense.
What to look for?
We've copied in the letter that was sent to our client to give you an idea what to look for.